Theme of the Essay
Past Competitions and Winners
The SMS Essay Competition began in 2007. It has a different theme every year. The objective of the competition is to expose students to various topics that are related to mathematics. Such topics could be related to the history, applications or other aspects of mathematics. We also hope to encourage articulation of mathematics through the exposition on these subjects.
Singapore Mathematical Society Essay Competition 2018
All secondary school, international school and JC students
$5 per essay entry
Mdm. Chan Lai Chee, Dr. Wong Wei Pin
Online Registration: 9th March 2018 - 6th July 2018.
Payment and Online Submission of Essays: 25th June 2018 - 6th July 2018
Theme of the Essay
“Mathematics and Cryptology”
- To keep the momentum going, the SMS Essay Competition will continue on the Series in the Application of Mathematics started in 2008. The theme for this year’s SMS Essay Competition is “Mathematics and Cryptology”.
- In this cyber age, cryptology plays the vital role of maintaining the confidentiality, integrity and authenticity of all kinds of information in all aspects of our lives, such as online shopping, credit cards, passwords, cryptocurrencies or even national security.
- The main objectives of this year’s competition are to introduce the students to the exciting field of cryptology and to let the students explore the mathematical aspects of cryptology and its applications.
- We also hope that through this competition, students can grasp the idea of inter-disciplinary research, as research in today’s cryptology involves mathematics, computer science, electrical engineering, communication science and physics.
- Category A:
- Express Stream (local): Secondary 1 and 2 students
- Normal Stream (local): Secondary 1, 2 and 3 students
- IP schools (local): Year 1 and 2 students
- International schools: Grade 6-8 (or equivalence)
- Category B:
- Express Stream (local): Secondary 3 and 4 students
- Normal Stream (local): Secondary 4 and 5 students
- IP schools (local): Year 3 and 4 students
- International schools: Grade 9-10 (or equivalence)
- Category C:
- Junior College (local): JC1 and 2 students
- IP schools (local): Year 5 and 6 students
- International schools: Grade 11-12 (or equivalence)
- Essay entry can be written by individual or a team of no more than 3 members from the same school.
- Each school is allowed to submit a maximum of ten entries in each category.
- Essay submitted for the competition must not have been submitted to any other inter-school competition organized by any other organization or been previously published in journal, magazine or any form of publication.
- All essays should be written in English.
- The length of the essay should be about 1000 words.
- Each entry should include an abstract of not more than 100 words.
- Materials submitted will become the property of the Singapore Mathematical Society and will not be returned.
- By submitting the online registration form, participants are giving consent to the society to publish their names on Singapore Mathematical Society’s webpage for administrative purposes.
- The organizers reserve the right at any time to amend rules & regulations, replace or substitute prizes without prior notice.
- Essays submitted will be evaluated by a panel of judges made up of mathematicians and school teachers.
- Each member of the panel of judges should not be involved in any supervision of any student’s writing of the essay.
- Decisions made by the panel of judges shall be final.
- All students who wish to submit an essay for the competition must register their essay online before submission can be done.
- Registration will be done online. The registration period will commence on 9th March 2018 (Friday) and end on 6th July 2018 (Friday).
- All entries successfully registered will be issued a username and password which can be used to submit their essays online.
- All submitted essays must be accompanied by a registration fee (see section on Registration Fees below), failing to do so will result in the disqualification of the entry.
- Teachers from schools submitting multiple entries can make payment for all the essays together.
- Essays should be submitted online. The online submission portal will be opened from 25th June 2018 (Monday) until 6th July 2018 (Friday).
- The deadline for completing payment AND online submission of the essay is 6th July 2018 (Friday).
- Late submissions will not be accepted except under special circumstances.
- The prize for each category of the competition is as follows:
Certificates of participation will be awarded to all participants.
All winning entries will be published in the forthcoming issues of Mathematical Medley.
- First Prize: $150 Cash
- Second Prize: $120 Cash
- Third Prize: $90 Cash
- There is a registration fee of $5 per entry. The fee may be paid by cash or cheque. Payment must be made before the 6th July 2018 (Friday).
- Cash payment must be made personally to Mdm Chan Lai Chee at
|Singapore Mathematical Society
c/o Department of Mathematics
National University of Singapore
10 Lower Kent Ridge Road
- The preferred mode of payment is by cash. Please call Mdm Chan at 6516-2762 to make an appointment prior to coming down personally.
- For cheque payment, please address the payee as "Singapore Mathematical Society". All cheques must reach Singapore Mathematical Society and be cleared before the 6th July 2018 (Friday). Cheque payments are to be sent to the same address above.
- An electronic receipt will be issued once payment is received in good order.