Theme of the Essay
Past Competitions and Winners
The SMS Essay Competition began in 2007. It has a different theme every year. The objective of the competition is to expose students to various topics that are related to mathematics. Such topics could be related to the history, applications or other aspects of mathematics. We also hope to encourage articulation of mathematics through the exposition on these subjects.
Singapore Mathematical Society Essay Competition 2019
All secondary school, international school and JC students
$10 per essay entry
Mdm. Chan Lai Chee, Dr. Wong Wei Pin
Online Registration: 12th March 2019 - 12th July 2019.
Payment and Online Submission of Essays: 1st July 2019 - 12th July 2019
Theme of the Essay
“Mathematics and Economics”
- The SMS Essay Competition will carry on with the Series in the Application of Mathematics in order to encourage students to explore and discover different facets of Mathematics in our everyday life. The theme for this year’s SMS Essay Competition is “Mathematics and Economics”.
- Economics has long been a crucial part of our daily life, as it is the study of the production, consumption and transfer of goods and wealth. Why is there inflation? Why does the petrol price fluctuate frequently? Why do certain stocks rise while others plummet? To model, explain and predict the behaviors behind these activities, economists turn to Mathematics and obtain an astonishing success.
- The main objectives of this year’s competition are to introduce the students to the different branches of economics, such as microeconomics, macroeconomics, game theory and finance, and to let the students understand how mathematics is applied in them.
- We also hope that through this competition, students will be exposed to a variety of different mathematics topics such as calculus, differential equations, functional analysis, convex sets, optimization, graph theory, dynamic analysis, Monte Carlo method, Brownian motion, stochastic calculus, probability, statistics, modeling, etc.
- Category A:
- Express Stream (local): Secondary 1 and 2 students
- Normal Stream (local): Secondary 1, 2 and 3 students
- IP schools (local): Year 1 and 2 students
- International schools: Grade 6-8 (or equivalence)
- Category B:
- Express Stream (local): Secondary 3 and 4 students
- Normal Stream (local): Secondary 4 and 5 students
- IP schools (local): Year 3 and 4 students
- International schools: Grade 9-10 (or equivalence)
- Category C:
- Junior College (local): JC1 and 2 students
- IP schools (local): Year 5 and 6 students
- International schools: Grade 11-12 (or equivalence)
- Essay entry can be written by individual or a team of no more than 3 members from the same school.
- Each school is allowed to submit a maximum of ten entries in each category.
- Essay submitted for the competition must not have been submitted to any other inter-school competition organized by any other organization or been previously published in journal, magazine or any form of publication.
- All essays should be written in English.
- The length of the essay should be about 1000 words.
- Each entry should include an abstract of not more than 100 words.
- Materials submitted will become the property of the Singapore Mathematical Society and will not be returned.
- By submitting the online registration form, participants are giving consent to the society to publish their names on Singapore Mathematical Society’s webpage for administrative purposes.
- The organizers reserve the right at any time to amend rules & regulations, replace or substitute prizes without prior notice.
- Essays submitted will be evaluated by a panel of judges made up of mathematicians and school teachers.
- Each member of the panel of judges should not be involved in any supervision of any student’s writing of the essay.
- Decisions made by the panel of judges shall be final.
- All students who wish to submit an essay for the competition must register their essay online here before submission can be done.
- Registration will be done online. The registration period will commence on 12th March 2019 (Tuesday) and end on 12th July 2019 (Friday).
- All entries successfully registered will be issued a username and password which can be used to submit their essays online.
- All submitted essays must be accompanied by a registration fee (see section on Registration Fees below), failing to do so will result in the disqualification of the entry.
- Teachers from schools submitting multiple entries can make payment for all the essays together.
- Essays should be submitted online. The online submission portal will be opened from 1st July 2019 (Monday) until 12th July 2019 (Friday).
- The deadline for completing payment AND online submission of the essay is 12th July 2019 (Friday).
- Late submissions will not be accepted except under special circumstances.
- The prize for each category of the competition is as follows:
Certificates of participation will be awarded to all participants.
All winning entries will be published in the forthcoming issues of Mathematical Medley.
- First Prize: $200 Cash
- Second Prize: $150 Cash
- Third Prize: $100 Cash
- There is a registration fee of $10 per entry. The fee may be paid by cash or cheque. Payment must be made before the 12th July 2019 (Friday).
- Cash payment must be made personally to Mdm Chan Lai Chee at
|Singapore Mathematical Society
c/o Department of Mathematics
National University of Singapore
10 Lower Kent Ridge Road
- The preferred mode of payment is by cash. Please call Mdm Chan at 6516-2762 to make an appointment prior to coming down personally.
- For cheque payment, please address the payee as "Singapore Mathematical Society". All cheques must reach Singapore Mathematical Society and be cleared before the 12th July 2019 (Friday). Cheque payments are to be sent to the same address above.
- An electronic receipt will be issued once payment is received in good order.